Governor Mary Fallin and state leaders addressed over 100 members of the Oklahoma Business Roundtable at the Fall Membership meeting on October 24that the Governor’s Mansion. Meeting Highlights:
- Commerce Secretary Dave Lopez reported Oklahoma’s median household income was number one in the country with a 9% growth during 2011. Median household income for the nation decreased by 1.5% last year.
- Commerce Research and Policy Director Deidre Myers provided an overview of a recent Commerce research study on Oklahoma’s key industry clusters. They include aerospace and defense; energy, finance and information technology, agribusiness and transportation/distribution. Roundtable members will be asked to join several focus groups studying these industry clusters.
- Lt. Governor Lamb reported on a recent successful economic development mission (assisted by Roundtable) to Dart Corporation in Detroit, parent of Solo Cup Company in Ada. He also discussed the success of his recent first-ever Young Professionals Conference held September 21st. The goal of the conference was to keep Oklahoma's best and brightest young college graduates in the state.
- Governor Fallin highlighted the state’s recent strong economic performance. Oklahoma has the 4thlowest unemployment rate in the country, is 3rdin job creation, 2ndin manufacturing job growth, 4thin personal income growth and now, a Top Ten State for business location.
- The Governor discussed her efforts to host more CEO’s of target companies in the state and gave an update on her October business mission to Europe. The trip, organized by the Tulsa Metro Chamber (and supported by the Roundtable), included stops in eight cities and more than 15 business appointments to companies with employment and investment in Tulsa and other Northeast Oklahoma communities. In addition, the Governor held several additional prospect meetings with target executives.